Friday, July 8, 2016

There are Always Reasons to be Thankful


I’d been having chest pains.

My doctor performed a normal EKG in her office, but she sent me for a stress test at the hospital anyway. They attached probes to my chest and back and cranked up the speed and incline on the treadmill and watched my heart work.

After the test, I sat in the parking lot, just breathing for a second, in and out, slowly, like I’d done a thousand times in the past year when my anxiety rolled in like a storm, when the phone rang. It was Finn’s endocrinologist.

My heart rate jacked way up again.

                                                                            ***

Nine months had passed since Finn was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age five. Caring for his newly diagnosed little self was the most stressful thing I’d ever done in my life. I ran constantly at a high anxiety level, even when I wasn’t with him. I was afraid of dangerous low blood sugars, and I blamed myself for every high blood sugar.

To compound things, the medical bills were overwhelming. When Finn was diagnosed, my husband Todd was only three weeks out from back surgery, his second in one year. He didn’t work for sixteen weeks that year, and we felt it. Add to that thousands in medical bills and a new monthly cost for diabetic supplies; we were drowning financially. We knew we’d never pay off the $14,000 of debt we’d accumulated on a budget that was already stretched at the seams. So I got a job at a fine dining restaurant a mile from my house. It was fun, and a nice break from the kids, but waiting tables is stressful, too, especially at a bustling restaurant with an upscale clientele.  

                                                                                ***

The endocrinologist had news following Finn’s first round of blood work: Finn had celiac disease.

I immediately burst into tears. While I was stoic and in denial when Finn was diagnosed with diabetes, I was a blubbering mess with the diagnosis of celiac disease. This second diagnoses meant more was wrong with my precious boy, and another lifestyle change. The doctor compassionately explained, through my bitter tears, that Finn would have to eat a gluten-free diet for the rest of his life, and he would need an endoscopy to confirm the diagnosis. (Read: more medical bills.)

Hot tears fell onto the steering wheel. It was all just too much. To make things worse, Todd was away on a business trip and I had to bear the news alone.

A celiac disease diagnosis meant that I could no longer rely on processed food for dinner on the nights when I worked. There were plenty of gluten-free pre-prepared foods on the market, but the volume of food that my four growing children ate made it cost prohibitive. No more could we get Chinese take-out on Sunday afternoons or pizza delivery on Friday nights. Restaurant eating was challenging at best, and it didn’t seem fair that the other kids could have chicken fingers with fries while Finn had a grilled chicken breast and roasted broccoli. At home, I had to make everything from scratch. This was not easy for a working mom of four. I scoured Pinterest for recipes, but found mostly deserts and complicated flour mixes. In addition, gluten free breads and cookies and flour had almost fifty percent higher carb counts, so feeding him to fullness meant less reliance on carbs overall. Nothing like pushing chicken on a six year-old. “Here, honey, eat more chicken! Or maybe some cheese?” 

In many ways, the diagnosis of celiac disease was harder for me to deal with than the diabetes. While not life threatening like diabetes, celiac disease was life altering in a different way. No longer could he “eat anything” with the right amount of insulin. School functions, birthday parties, cook-outs: eating was harder than ever. 

                                                                                       ***

The stress test showed that there was nothing wrong with my heart. The doctor suggested that perhaps I was just out of shape. (Thanks for that, Doc.) Three years into our journey with diabetes, I still wrestle with anxiety over my son’s health, but not like I did in those first brutal months. My rolling boil of stress is more like a low simmer.

We did pay off that $14,000 debt, including all our medical bills and lost income with the money I made waitressing. We learned laser focus with our financial goals and how to live on less. We saved three thousand dollars the year we stopped getting weekly takeout. We rarely go out to eat as a whole family, but ice cream is gluten-free and relatively inexpensive. (Yay for Rita’s!) We got a medical grant that helped pay for supplies for a year, including the start-up costs for a Dexcom continuous glucose monitor and Omnipod insulin pump. Then we moved to a state that provides medical assistance for children with Type 1 diabetes. (I almost fell over when I found out.)

I learned how to feed Finn (and the rest of the family) gluten-free. I rely heavily on rice and potatoes and tortilla chips for inexpensive, gluten-free carbs. We eat mostly whole foods like chicken, ground turkey and lots of fruits and vegetables. I shop at Aldi’s for gluten-free pretzels and crackers and the occasional cake or brownie mix, and Bob’s Red Mill 1 for 1 baking flour is my new best friend. With it, I make pancakes and waffles and my favorite, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. We rely on Udi’s bread and pizza crusts. Friday night is still pizza night, but we make our own. Its (almost) more fun that way. And our fast food? Rotisserie chicken and baby carrots, or cheese and crackers and sliced apples.

The biggest surprise? We are healthier than ever as a family. I gave up gluten, too, because I found that I felt a lot better. My skin cleared up and I felt less bloated. I often tell Finn that his diseases have made our family healthier than ever.

I would never choose this journey into the world of chronic illness. However, I have learned there are always reasons to be thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment